Goodbye To My Little Artist Friends in Haiti

Yesterday was Project HOPE Art's last day with the kids we'd been with all week, and so it was time to hang their art, share a meal together and then, sadly, say goodbye.

After spending an incredible two weeks in Haiti with the best team anyone could ask for (Jenni Ward, Melissa Schilling, and Julie Ulm), I'm at a loss to summarize my experiences, and the emotional roller coaster that this trip provided. One of the definite highs was seeing kids continue to draw and weave and braid on their own, days after learning it from Jenni and me. A low would have to be body painting over big bumpy scars on little arms and legs – that caught me off guard.

But despite all that, and the fact that these kids don't even have a tiny fraction of what most children have in my neighborhood, they are a happy and boisterous and curious bunch that will greet you with a kiss every time you see them. In fact, just try to listen to them singing in the clip below without smiling. I don't know where they learned this song as they only speak Creole, I only know I find it incredibly sweet to listen to.

You have read this article Haiti with the title Goodbye To My Little Artist Friends in Haiti. You can bookmark this page URL http://anitalaydonmillersmiddlegradeblog.blogspot.com/2011/07/goodbye-to-my-little-artist-friends-in.html. Thanks!

No comment for "Goodbye To My Little Artist Friends in Haiti"

Post a Comment